Good Morning. Join us on Monday, October 3rd for the 38th Annual Chief Daryl F. Gates Golf Tournament at Porter Valley Country Club in Northridge. Registration is $150 per person and proceeds will go towards benefitting the Officer Needs Help Fund. Click here for more information.
Law Enforcement News
Authorities ‘Very Concerned’ Over Data Breach Affecting CCW Permits, Other Gun Owners
After a data breach on Monday revealed the personal information of Californians who applied for a concealed carry weapons permit, the California State Sheriffs’ Association released a statement Wednesday saying the organization is “alarmed.” The Los Angeles Police Protective League Board of Directors issued a statement decrying the breach. “The personal safety of law enforcement officers and their families are already at increased risk due to the nature of their job,” the board said. “This security breach could potentially make matters worse. Any disclosure of personal information is extremely troubling, and we are hopeful that this information is not used to harm officers. We urge the Attorney General’s office to quickly complete their investigation to determine how this occurred and what immediate corrective measures must be put into place to prevent any future disclosures.”
LA Police Protective League Discusses Decision by West Hollywood to Defund Law Enforcement Protection for Residents
West Hollywood has voted to reduce law enforcement funding despite escalating crime that was up 137% earlier in the year and public backlash. Jamie McBride, an LAPD Detective, and LAPPL Director discusses the dangerous conditions and crime surges defunding is creating in Los Angeles County
Fox News Video/a>
California Dad Who Lost Son To Fentanyl Overdose Rips LA DA Gascon: His Policies Are ‘Killing People’
A California father who lost his son to a fentanyl overdose is calling out far-left Los Angeles DA George Gascon and his soft on crime policies as fentanyl deaths soar. Samuel Chapman and his wife, Dr. Laura Berman, lost their 16-year-old son Sammy to an overdose last year. Chapman joined “Fox & Friends” Wednesday to discuss the urgent need to replace liberal leadership in California and beyond to ensure public safety. “I think the DAs does need to be replaced in these major cities,” Chapman told co-host Ainsely Earhardt. “I think Gascon’s going to be recalled. I certainly signed my petition. They’ve got trouble in New York and Philadelphia, all over California.” “Unless we wake up and stop this, more children will die like my Sammy,” he continued. Gascon has come under fire for what his critics claim are lenient policies that compromise public safety amid surging violent crime. He is now facing his second recall effort over the spike. Jose Zendejas, 25, and 19-year-old Benito Madrigal were discovered with 150 packages that each contained 1,000 fentanyl pills during a traffic stop in Tulare County, California on Friday, authorities said. Chapman says his son’s killer is walking the streets and alleges Gascon’s office refuses to talk to his family about his son’s tragedy. “They found my son’s murderer,” Chapman said. “The DEA and the Santa Monica police did, and then they submitted the case to the DA’s office, George Gascon’s office, who declined to comment, and that man’s walking the streets today… could, could be waiting outside our house for all I know, but there’s nothing we can do about it. George Gascon’s office won’t speak to us.”
Los Angeles Father, Son Found Dead In Possible Murder-Suicide
A father and son were found dead in a Los Angeles neighborhood Tuesday evening and authorities believe it could be a murder-suicide. Los Angeles police responded to a call in the Chatsworth neighborhood around 8:20 p.m. Tuesday night. Officers found the bodies of a man and a young boy outside a vehicle that was parked near William Tell Aggeler High School. The Los Angeles County coroner’s office later identified the man as 35-year-old Jose Romo Guerra and 10-year-old Michael Romo Sandoval, a father and son from Canoga Park. LAPD Deputy Chief Alan Hamilton reiterated after conflicting reports that the pair were found outside the vehicle and died at the scene. Hamilton told reporters that a murder-suicide was a "working theory." It remains unclear exactly how the pair died. No weapons were recovered at the scene and the case remains under investigation.
1 Dead After Shooting Near Baldwin Hills Crenshaw Plaza
A person was killed after a shooting near the Baldwin Hills Crenshaw Plaza Tuesday evening, police said. AIR7 HD was over the area of Martin Luther King Boulevard and Marelton Avenue shortly before 10 p.m. after police had responded to a reported shooting near the mall's parking lot. A car, possibly a Mercedes-Benz, had crashed into a fence next to the parking structure. LAPD said the victim was found dead inside the vehicle. Further details about the shooting and crash were not immediately available. The shooting happened hours after gunfire erupted near another mall in Culver City. Around 7:40 p.m., police responded to a shooting in which multiple witnesses reported seeing two people open fire on another person in the parking lot of the Westfield Culver City mall. An unknown number of vehicles had been hit by gunfire, but police said they did not find any victims. An investigation into that shooting is ongoing.
LAPD Remains In A Standoff Situation In Sun Valley
Police remain in a standoff situation with two suspects in Sun Valley. The passenger exited the vehicle and approached police, but then returned to to the other suspect who was still in the car, refusing to come out.
Suspects Sought In Armed Robbery Near Venice Boardwalk
The Los Angeles Police Department is looking for two suspects wanted in an armed robbery near the Venice Boardwalk Tuesday. The incident took place around 6:40 p.m. at the corner of Dudley and Pacific Avenue. Police say two suspects, a 25 year old hispanic male and 20 year old hispanic female, displayed a semi-automatic handgun while taking a purse, necklace and passport from a victim. No injuries were reported.
NBA Player Miles Bridges Arrested For Domestic Violence
NBA star Miles Bridges was arrested for felony domestic violence in Los Angeles on Wednesday, TMZ Sports has learned. The 24-year-old forward -- who most recently played for the Charlotte Hornets -- turned himself into a local jail regarding an alleged physical altercation that happened on Tuesday. Law enforcement sources tell us a woman claims she was in an argument with Bridges that turned physical. We're told police were called to the scene, but Bridges was gone by the time cops arrived. We're told the woman required medical attention. The 6'7", 225-pounder was arrested by LAPD after turning himself in Wednesday afternoon. His bail was set at $130k ... and he's since been released. Bridges -- who's also a rapper under the name RTB MB -- spent his first four seasons with the Hornets ... but is expected to be a top free agency target this off-season. Bridges was the 12th overall pick out of Michigan State in 2018 ... averaging 13.4 points and 5.6 rebounds a game over 4 seasons. He had the best season of his career in 2021-22 ... averaging 20.2 points, 7 rebounds and 3.8 assists.
Police Investigate Shooting In Culver City Mall Parking Lot
Gunshots were fired in the parking lot of a mall in Culver City Tuesday night, according to police. The Culver City Police Department responded to the Westfield Mall on Sepulveda Boulevard around 7:40 p.m. Tuesday to reports of shots fired. Police say multiple witnesses saw two people shooting at another in the parking lot. When officers got to the scene they weren't able to locate either the suspects or the person they were shooting at. All they were able to find were multiple cars with bullet holes. Police didn't offer any detailed descriptions about the suspects, but say they're looking for a light-colored, possibly white, newer model SUV. Culver City PD is still investigating. Anyone with information about this shooting is asked to call 310-253-6316.
Arizona Deputy Shot, Killed Trying To Arrest Suspect
An investigation is underway after Sgt. Richard Lopez, 51, was shot and killed in the line of duty on Tuesday, reported Fox 10. Lopez was trying to arrest a theft suspect when an altercation ensued, although details remain unclear, said Sheriff David Rhodes. Neighbors called 911 to report an officer in distress and responding deputies found Lopez unresponsive, the report said. Lopez was rushed to a hospital but died of his injuries, Rhodes told Fox 10. The suspect barricaded himself for hours until a SWAT team ultimately arrested him, police said. The suspect was not immediately identified but has been charged with first-degree murder, according to the report. "We are saddened, heartbroken, and above all, angry," Rhodes said during a news conference early Wednesday. "We lost an incredible member of the YCSO family today, we lost a friend, we lost a mentor, we lost a father, we lost a husband, we lost a community servant, to a senseless act of murderous violence against law enforcement." Lopez was a 14-year veteran of the Yavapai County Sheriff’s Office, police said.
Baltimore Police Sergeant On Life Support After Being Dragged By Car
A Baltimore Police sergeant is critically ill on life support after he was dragged by a car for about two blocks during a traffic stop Tuesday evening in Northwest Baltimore, Police Commissioner Michael Harrison said. The Northwest District sergeant was making a vehicle stop minutes after 8 p.m. in the 5100 block of Park Heights Avenue in the Central Park Heights community when he “became engaged with the vehicle,” Harrison said. “The driver hit the gas and accelerated, dragging the sergeant,” Harrison said later Tuesday night at Shock Trauma. He said the driver also struck another car in the process of fleeing. The officer received immediate medical aid, Harrison said, then was rushed to Shock Trauma and was admitted about 8:30 p.m., according to officials. “He is critically ill. He is on full life support. Our diagnostic studies are ongoing,” said Dr. Thomas M. Scalea of Shock Trauma, adding that the sergeant will be moved to the intensive care unit “in the not-too-distant future.”Harrison said detectives have some “pretty good leads,” but he didn’t go into details. Mayor Brandon Scott also spoke and implored the public to contact investigators if they can help.
Public Safety News
LAFD Crews Douse Apartment Fire In South LA; Three Patients Rescued From Within Building
Crews with the Los Angeles Fire Department battled a blaze that engulfed multiple floors of a South Los Angeles apartment building Tuesday evening. LAFD said the fire happened at the intersection of 104th Place and Figueroa Street. Authorities elevated the seriousness of the blaze to a greater alarm fire as it engulfed both floors of the two-story apartment complex. Three patients were taken to the hospital after they were rescued from the second floor. The 72 firefighters battling the blaze were able to extinguish it in 33 minutes. A cause was not yet known.
Local Government News
LA City Council To Vote Wednesday On Healthcare Worker Wage Hike
One day after postponing a vote on the matter, the Los Angeles City Council Wednesday is scheduled to consider final approval of an ordinance that would raise the minimum wage for people working at some healthcare facilities in the city to $25 per hour. The “Minimum Wage for Employees Working at Healthcare Facilities” initiative, which was brought to the council through a successful petition drive, would raise the workers’ minimum wage and have it adjusted annually to account for increases in the cost of living. The ordinance would also prohibit employers from funding the minimum wage increase by laying off workers or reducing benefits or hours. The council had the choice of either adopting the initiative or putting it before voters. On a 10-2 vote last week, the council opted to adopt the measure without going to a public vote. Council members Joe Buscaino and Paul Krekorian opposed the measure. Because the vote was not unanimous, the issue was set to return to the council Tuesday for a second vote. But the council delayed the vote without discussion until Wednesday.
Council Pushes Vote On Extension Of Venice Bridge Home Lease to August
The Los Angeles City Council postponed its vote on the lease extension for the Venice Bridge home until August. In a motion put forth before the Information, Technology, and General Services Committee on June 17 by Councilmember Mike Bonin, Bonin asked that the Council authorize the Department of General Services (GSD) to negotiate and execute a new or amend an existing lease agreement with the Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transit Authority (Metro), the land owner, for use as a crisis and bridge facility. Bonin also asked the City Council to authorize the GSD to negotiate and execute a sublease agreement with People Assisting the Homeless (PATH), the service provider currently overseeing the ABH. The ABH opened in February of 2020 and, as stated on Bonin's council website, is only supposed to last a maximum of three years, which means its lease is set to expire in February of 2023. The ABH sits on a 3.14-acre lot owned by METRO and is only a few blocks from the beach, a stone's throw from an elementary school and in the middle of a residential neighborhood. The shelter is low-barrier, meaning there are no sobriety requirements.