Follow Us:

Feb 2024
LAPD Officer Shot By Restraining Order Suspect
Law Enforcement News

LAPD Officer Shot By Restraining Order Suspect

A Los Angeles police officer was hospitalized after he was shot in Pacoima on Friday. It happened at about 8:20 a.m. when officers responded to a restraining order violation call in the 13200 block of Paxton Street, according to the Los Angeles Police Department. The officers encountered the suspect, identified as 52-year-old Pete Garcia, in a back house. Despite efforts to de-escalate the situation, the officers tried to take the suspect into custody with a taser, but it didn't work. "During the struggle Garcia produced a pistol from his front waistband area and pointed it in the officers' direction," said an LAPD statement on Saturday. "Simultaneously, one of the officers TASED Garcia. Garcia then fired one round from his pistol at the officers." The bullet struck a 27-year-old officer in the hand. Officers were able to wrangle the suspect into custody before the wounded officer was taken to the hospital. "Our officer, thankfully, is in good condition," Deputy Chief Ruby Flores said. "He was transported to a local hospital and is in a stable condition."


How LAPD Detained Over 50 Alleged Gang Members At Once

Authorities detained dozens of alleged gang members and recovered multiple firearms, including ghost guns, in downtown LA Saturday. Officers first began monitoring a large group of people who gathered on a public sidewalk on East 16th Street near Los Angeles Street, drinking alcohol and using drugs, according to a news release from the Los Angeles Police Department. The group consisted of “approximately 50 to 70 gang members,” according to the LAPD. During the investigation, officers found a total of 17 firearm with some of them placed “in plain sight within parked vehicles,” the news release said. At least six of the weapons were believed to be unregistered ghost guns. As officers investigated the group, they established a skirmish line to contain the street and the warehouse where some of the members of the group were seen entering and exiting. Among the large group of people detained, three of them were arrested and booked. One man was arrested while allegedly trying to discard a weapon. Another was taken into custody after he was seen rushing into the warehouse with a firearm and quickly exiting the building, the LAPD said. Anyone with additional information is urged to contact the LAPD Newton Division.


Northridge Apartment Manager Shot Over Eviction Dispute, 70-Year-Old Suspect Found Dead

An apartment manager in Northridge was shot and injured during a dispute over an eviction. Police responded to the area of Balboa Blvd. and Plummer St. at the Plummer Park apartments around 11:20 a.m. after a caller stated that a woman had been shot. The 40-year-old victim, only identified as the district manager of the apartment complex, was shot in the upper torso while in her car. She was taken to the hospital in critical but stable condition. SWAT teams set up a large perimeter around an apartment complex as they searched for a suspect. About four hours later, police found the 70-year-old female suspect dead from a self-inflicted gunshot wound. "The suspect was part of the eviction process and sometime there was a verbal dispute and that's when the incident occurred," said LAPD officer Rosario Cervantes. Three schools nearby were placed on lockdown and the apartment complex was evacuated. The schools on lockdown were Balboa Gifted/High-Ability Magnet Elementary School, Dearborn Elementary Charter Academy, and Oliver Wendell Holmes International Middle School. The schools were let out at 3 p.m. as normal.

FOX 11

Man Shot Near 37th Place And Third Avenue, Shooter At Large

A man was shot and wounded Monday near the Crenshaw area of Los Angeles, according to police. The shooting took place around 2:45 p.m. Monday near 37th Place and Third Avenue. The victim was rushed to a hospital and was last reported to be in stable condition, according to Officer Rosaria Cervantes of the Los Angeles Police Department. The shooter remained at large, Cervantes said. No motive or suspect description was immediately available.


Van Nuys Homeowner Robbed, Attacked After Coming Home To Armed Burglars

A homeowner in Van Nuys experienced some terrifying moments as he arrived home to find burglars inside his house. It happened around 7:30 p.m. Saturday on Victory Boulevard and Whitman Avenue. Police say the homeowner walked in while two armed suspects were burglarizing the home. They assaulted the homeowner and then got away. The victim suffered minor injuries.


LAPD Arrest 3 At Protest For Using Tear Gas

The Los Angeles Police Department arrested three people at the site of a protest in Hollywood. Authorities met with two victims of a reported battery at the Hollywood detachment on Feb. 16. The two said there was a physical altercation outside a restaurant close to where a protest was taking place. The incident occurred in the area of the 5900 block of Franklin Avenue, near where the Church of Scientology is located. Several restaurants are located on the north side of Franklin Avenue, opposite the church. When the officers arrived on the scene, they used the description provided to them by the victims to arrest two people. While they were there, responding officers received reports of another physical altercation close by, where they apprehended another suspect. The three suspects have been identified as Daniel Villeda Gonzalez, Kamrin Ivone, and Scott Hochstetter. No further details have been provided about the three accused. All three have been charged with conspiracy and unlawful use of tear gas.


Police Seeking Group Of Suspects Who Allegedly Attacked Turkish Consulate Members On USC Campus

Police are asking for the public's help in identifying four suspects who allegedly attacked a group of Turkish Consulate members on the University of Southern California campus in late September last year. The incident happened back on Sept. 29, 2023 at around 2:30 p.m., when Los Angeles Police Department officers were called to the USC campus near Downey Way and Watt Way, according to a statement from the department. They say that three Turkish Consulate members were walking through the campus after a planned event, when they were attacked. "The suspects, who were part of a group of protestors, approached the victims, yelled derogatory statements and physically attacked them," said LAPD's statement. "The suspects pushed, punched, kicked, and threw water at the victims." Prior to their arrival, the suspects had fled from the scene. As their investigation continues, LAPD detectives released photos of the four suspects they believe were involved in the attack, hopeful that the public can assist in identifying them. Anyone with further information is urged to contact LAPD's Major Crimes Detectives Torres or Allen at (213) 486-6270.


giphy image

BWC Footage Released In Fatal Shooting Of Tennessee Deputy

The Blount County Sheriff’s Office has released body camera footage from the fatal shooting of one of its deputies, WBIR reported. The Feb. 8 incident began when Deputy Shelby Eggers pulled over Kenneth Wayne Dehart Jr. for driving on the wrong side of the road, according to the report. Once Dehart had pulled over, Eggers spoke with him for several minutes, trying to get proper insurance and registration information. Eggers then smelled marijuana in the vehicle and asked Dehart to step out of the car. He refused and verbally argued with Eggers for several minutes, Eggers’ body camera video shows. Deputy Greg McCowan then arrived on the scene and instructed Dehart to get out of the car. Dehart continued to refuse, screaming at deputies that he had done nothing wrong. McCowan then deployed his TASER, shocking Dehart twice. He still refused to get out of the car. Gunshots can then be heard on the video footage. Eggers’ in-car dash camera footage shows her stumbling back from the car. Eggers was severely wounded in the shooting and McCowan was killed. At least one of the deputies returned fire, according to the report, but Dehart fled the scene. A five-day manhunt ensued before Dehart was captured and charged with murder, attempted murder and being a felon in possession of a weapon.


N.Y. Officer’s Bullet-Resistant Vest Saves Him From Being Stabbed In Chest During Domestic Violence Call

Suffolk police fatally shot a Bay Shore man who stabbed an officer responding to a domestic violence call on Saturday, officials said. Police responded to the home on Udall Road in Bay Shore around 9:10 a.m. after a woman called and “stated that her husband was acting violent,” said Suffolk County Police Acting Commissioner Robert Waring. As officers opened a screen door at the home’s front entrance, Taiquell Woodson, 33, emerged with a large knife and lunged at one of the officers, Waring said. “The officer retreated and fell into the snow in the front yard,” Waring said. “Woodson jumped on top of him with the knife and he starts stabbing the officer, clearly attempting to kill him.” The officer’s bullet-resistant vest saved him from being stabbed in the chest, officials said. Another officer tried to use his Taser on Woodson, but was unsuccessful. A third officer at the scene “fired his service weapon, striking Woodson and stopping the attack,” Waring said. “This incident occurred in about five seconds,” the police commissioner said. “I want to be clear: This was a justified shooting.”

New York Daily News

Public Safety News

L.A. Firefighters Critically Injured In Truck Explosion Are ‘Making Progress’

Two members of the Los Angeles Fire Department are “making progress” after sustaining critical injuries while fighting a semi-truck fire that led to an explosion on Thursday, according to a department spokesperson. Nine firefighters were injured in Wilmington by the catastrophic explosion of a tank of compressed natural gas used to power the truck, including two who were hospitalized, fire officials said. One of those firefighters was discharged Friday night, and another is “critical but stable” and remains in the intensive care unit at Los Angeles General Medical Center, which operates a burn unit, Los Angeles Fire Department Public Information Officer Erik Scott said in a statement Saturday. The latter firefighter has been taken off a ventilator, Scott said. “With a happy heart and a sense of relief, we are pleased to report that our most injured #LAFD #Firefighter was successfully extubated this morning. He is awake, alert and talking. Next steps will be to introduce food as tolerated,” Scott posted to X.

Los Angeles Times

1 Dead, 2 Hurt In Fiery Single-Vehicle Crash In Encino

One person was dead and two others hurt after a crash in Encino that ended with a vehicle engulfed in flames. The single-vehicle crash happened around 12:15 a.m. Tuesday near Ventura and Balboa boulevards, according to the Los Angeles Police Department. Police say officers initially tried to pull over the car for not having the headlights on, but that driver did not stop and crashed into a traffic light pole. Video from the scene shows officers trying to extinguish the flames that enveloped the vehicle after the collision. A total of three people were inside the car. The driver and one passenger were pulled out of the vehicle, but another passenger in the backseat did not survive. It's unclear what caused that crash or if the driver will face any charges. 


LAFD Rescues Two Trapped Vehicle Occupants Near Franklin Canyon Park

City firefighters rescued two people trapped in a rollover crash on Coldwater Canyon Avenue in the Beverly Crest area of Los Angeles Sunday. The solo vehicle crash happened around 4:15 p.m. Sunday at 2445 Coldwater Canyon Drive, just east of Franklin Canyon Park, Mountains Recreation & Conservation Authority, near the Beverly Park gated community and south of Mulholland Drive, said Los Angeles Fire Department spokesman Nicholas Prange. The victims, whose genders and ages were not provided, were transported to a hospital for treatment of unknown injuries, Prange said. The cause of the crash was not immediately known.


City Officials Put Storm Response Plans Into Motion As Rain Douses Los Angeles

The city of Los Angeles preemptively activated their storm response as the second storm of the month sweeps through the area, bringing heavy rain and strong winds along with it. The Emergency Operations Center was activated to a "Level 2" in order to monitor the impacts of the storm and to coordinate necessary resources in response to any weather-related incidents. "Emergency crews remain ready to respond to the effects of the storm and potential of mud and debris flows, power outages and roadway obstructions," said a statement from the City of Los Angeles. Crews have been busy repairing and cleaning up after the last powerful storm that hit just weeks ago, leaving more than 4,000 potholes and hundreds of landslides in its wake. Work is also underway in order to prevent more mudslides and prevent power outages, with crews repairing underground equipment and vaults that were flooded during the previous storm. "The National Weather Service reports that the heaviest period of rainfall will occur Monday night through Tuesday night," the statement said.


About the LAPPL: Formed in 1923, the Los Angeles Police Protective League (LAPPL) represents more than 8,900 dedicated and professional sworn members of the Los Angeles Police Department. The LAPPL serves to advance the interests of LAPD officers through legislative and legal advocacy, political action and education.

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  YouTube  Web  Email
Download Our Mobile App
Listen To Our Podcast



Related News